Student Advice - College of Education, Health and Human Development - University of Canterbury - New Zealand

Apply Now

Student Advice

Information on fees and costs and programmes of study can be found on the University website. General information for Current Students can also be found there. Detailed information for current and continuing students can be found on the Course Groups, Orientation & Timetables page.

If you are not currently enrolled at the College of Education, Health and Human Development you will find useful information on the Future Students page.

Enrol Now

General enrolment information for Advancing and Postgraduate Students is now available.

If you need course and occurrence codes for the group you are enrolling visit the Course Groups, Orientation & Timetables webpages. You will also find orientation and On-Site Intensive information here.

Going Online

Course work for current students can be found on Learn. You need to have a student network login to access this.

What do you need to study? Computer/Internet Access and Course Material

  • To study at the UC College of Education, Health and Human Development you must have continual access to a computer with broadband internet access, and access to a printer. Course materials will be provided free of charge in digital form in each course's site within the University’s Learning Management System, Learn. It is your decision whether to print what you require at your cost. Distance Students will need to attend Adobe Connect Sessions on the computer.
    Some programmes are available to be studied full-time on campus in Christchurch, full-time in Rotorua and Nelson, full-time or part-time in New Plymouth, or, full-time or part-time by distance through the Flexible Learning Option (FLO).
  • Once you are fully enrolled, UC will use your student email address as your main point of contact. It is also essential for using Library services. We recommend that you check your student email daily. As part of your enrolment declaration, you have agreed to check your UC email at least weekly and the Learn site regularly. This will ensure that you are up to date with all requirements and information from UC. The only exemption from this policy will be if you apply for, and are approved as exempt, by the Manager, Admissions and Enrolments.

Student Advisors

If you are a prospective postgraduate student or current UC student and have questions regarding your course of study in education, health sciences or sport coaching our Student Advice team are here to help.

Lynette Magson Lynette Magson
Gemma Harte Gemma Harte
Kirsty Fraser Kirsty Fraser
Manja Pieters Manja Pieters

How to contact us

Please either send an email outlining your enquiry or request to  or phone the College Office to schedule an appointment (we offer phone or in person appointments as well as a drop-in service on Friday mornings between 10am-12pm).

To make an appointment to see the Student Advisor please contact:
College Office Reception, Ōrakipaoa
College of Education, Health and Human Development
Phone: +64 3 369 3333 or 0800 827 748 ext. 93333

If you are sending documents for our attention please address them to:
Student Advisor
College of Education, Health and Human Development
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch 8140

How can you find us?

College of Education, Health and Human Development, Ōrakipaoa, Dovedale Avenue. A map of our location can be found here:

What can a Student Advisor help you with?

  • planning your programme of study including double degrees and double majors
  • entry requirements
  • programme extensions
  • exemptions from core-requirements or pre-requisite waivers
  • Masters thesis suspensions
  • Masters thesis extensions
  • part-time enrolment
  • withdrawal from courses
  • advice on eligibility to graduate
  • transfer of credit from other New Zealand tertiary institutions
  • cross-credit
  • transferring between qualifications
  • permission to take courses elsewhere for credit to a UC qualification
  • academic appeals
  • workload
  • explaining your course options

If you are enquiring about commencing Masters Thesis or PhD study with the College we recommend you refer to the following websites:



Masters Thesis Students

College of Education, Health and Human Development Masters Thesis Enrolment Process

PhD Students

PhD Programmes

Application Forms

Where else can you find assistance?

Student Care Advisors

The Student Care Team offers guidance on developing your life skills outside of the classroom to enhance your personal wellbeing and chances for success. You may have a particular question or concern, but sometimes you may be referred to us because you are struggling generally or have a challenge with a particular aspect of academic life. Advisors can assist students in areas as diverse as personal problems affecting study, extension and aegrotat queries, adjustment to university life, and social and cultural concerns. 
How to contact the Student Care Team:
Level 2
Central Library
Puaka-James Hight Building
Tel: +64 3 369 3631
Internal Phone: 93531
Or check out their website for more information.

Distance Learning (Assignments)

Freephone 0800 827 748 ext 93333
For distance study course advice please contact a student advisor.

International Students

We recommend you check out the International Students website at for useful information on studying and living in New Zealand. Prospective international student can also make enquires online.

Māori and Pasifika Student Support

There are numerous support programmes, mentoring and fun activities for Māori and Pasifika students at UC.
The Pacific Development Team runs many events throughout the University year as well as offering support and services to support Pasifika students. For more on the events and services offered please visit their website:
The Māori Development Team offers a wide range of events, support programmes and services for all UC Māori students. To find out more visit the UC Maori website

PhD students

Any queries should be directed to the PhD Administrator in the Postgraduate Office, see their website for the right people to contact

Support Services at UC

UC has a huge array of support services to help you before and during your time at UC. Take a look at the Student Services website at and take advantage of the help they have to offer or any of the support services listed below. In particular you may be interested in the academic and career support services as well as counselling and mentoring services.