International Students - College of Education, Health and Human Development - University of Canterbury - New Zealand

Apply Now



International Students

The College of Education, Health and Human Development is recognised as one of the leading providers in New Zealand of world class courses and qualifications in a range of specialist fields.

Study in New Zealand provides a realistic option for many international students to enter a teacher education programme. Our courses are internationally recognised and your employment opportunities will be enhanced with a University of Canterbury qualification. Students also have opportunities to remain and work in New Zealand.

Teaching Jobs in New Zealand

Once qualified as a teacher you can apply for provisional teacher registration. You may then teach in New Zealand and apply for positions in New Zealand schools directly. The starting salary for new teachers is approximately NZ$40,000 per annum. More information and application forms can be downloaded from the Teachers’ Council. You can find more information about the New Zealand education system at the Ministry of Education.

There is currently demand for Physics, Chemistry and Maths teachers in New Zealand Secondary schools. As the University of Canterbury trains teachers for the New Zealand market, we encourage all graduates to seriously consider job opportunities in New Zealand in order to meet this demand.

Secondary teaching graduates spend one year training, followed by two years teaching with provisional registration at which time you can apply for full registration to teach in New Zealand.

Entry requirements

A special application form for teaching programmes is required. Selection for entry is competitive and is based on academic ability, involvement and interest in working with children, community involvement, communication skills and other personal qualities. The selection process includes a police check.

English Language Requirements

International students for whom English is an additional language must provide evidence of their English language ability as follows:

  1. IELTS (Academic) 7.0, with no individual score below 7.0; or
  2. At least two years of successful study in a New Zealand secondary school, with at least eight Level 2 NCEA credits in English (four reading and four writing).

All students for whom English is not a first language must satisfy the New Zealand Teachers Council (NZTC) English language requirements for teacher registration. See NZTC for more information.

Admission Qualifications

You must be 18 years of age or over to enrol as an international student at the College of Education, Health and Human Development. Students from a wide range of countries enrol. Requirements for countries not listed below can be found at International Students Entry Requirements.

Examples of undergraduate programme international student entry requirements include:

  • Canada - Ontario: Grade 12 Secondary School Diploma (advanced level), with 6 Grade 12 U, U/C or M courses including Grade 12 U English. Students from other provinces should contact us.
  • Ireland - A leaving certificate with passes in five subjects at C level or better in Higher level papers.
  • UK - 3 A levels at C or above.

All of our Graduate Programmes require you to have a degree from a recognised university. If you are studying the Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Secondary) two teachable subjects are required (see Subjects and Courses).

Programmes Duration
Bachelor of Teaching and Learning (Early Childhood) 3 years
Bachelor of Teaching and Learning (Primary) 3 years
Bachelor of Teaching and Learning (Primary) with Honours 3 years plus a 4th year of honours study
Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Primary)

1 year programme for university degree graduates

Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Secondary)

1 year programme for university degree graduates

Bachelor of Education (Physical Education)
Not available in 2017
4 years
Bachelor of Sport Coaching 3 years
Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching 6 month full time or up to four years part time qualification. It is offered as an on-line, flexible learning option.
Master of Computer-Assisted Language Learning 12 months of fulltime study (part-time options are available)
The programme is offered online, and students are not required to come to Christchurch or to NZ.  The courses generally require active participation in real-time classes. Some of the courses may also have campus occurances or occasional optional campus meetups and online students may in some cases participate in the campus meetings via e.g. Skype or Adobe Connect.  

Paying Fees

Tuition fees must be paid prior to obtaining an Offer of Place. Students undertaking a course of more than one year should be aware that fees may increase in subsequent years. Historically, this has been between 3% and 5%. More information on paying fees and recommended living expenses can be found at the International Students site.

Canadian Students from Ontario may be entitled to assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Programme.


The University has six Halls of Residence all close to the campus. The preferred accommodation for College of Education, Health and Human Development students is at the Sonoda accommodation complex. Homestay, private houses and flats (apartments) are also available.


International Student Support is available, with people to advise and support you in all aspects of your study experience. For more information and advice on College of Education, Health and Human Development programmes, feel free to contact us at We look forward to welcoming you.

More Information

Information specific to teacher education programmes and the College of Education, Health and Human Development can be found in the College of Education, Health and Human Development brochures below or by emailing

More general information about studying in New Zealand can be found on the main International Students site or by phoning +64 3 366 7001.

We also offer a number of postgraduate and professional development qualifications.