New Zealand Centre for Olympic Studies
The creation of the Olympic Studies programme at the University of Canterbury was inspired by athletics Olympian The Lord Porritt (1900-1994) of New Zealand, who viewed the practice of sport as a means of promoting a culturally relevant experiential process of learning life principles - otherwise known as Olympism. As a member of the IOC Executive Board, Porritt greatly appreciated the pedagogical and socio-cultural significance of using sport as a means to educate young people.
The programme was established on 30 November 2007 as an autonomous and permanent entity attached to the School of Sciences and Physical Education within the College of Education, Health and Human Development. It maintains academic independence, is supported by an Academic Advisory Committee, managed by a member of the Academic Staff, and occupies dedicated study space in Te Pourewa at the College of Education, Health and Human Development. A critical mass of staff with experience, interest and academic credibility in the area, along with strong undergraduate and graduate programmes in physical education and sport coaching were seen as appropriate prerequisites for the creation of an Olympic Studies programme at the University.
The Olympic Studies programme:
- Networks and collaborates with the Olympic Movement (including the IOC Olympic Studies Centre at Lausanne and the International Olympic Academy at Olympia), Centres for Olympic Studies attached to universities around the world, and other scholarly institutions, organizations, research groups and individual experts who have common interests and work in similar fields of endeavour
- Acts as a national hub for New Zealand universities in the creation of multi-disciplinary learning opportunities and studies in relevant fields
- Maintains a Cooperation Agreement with the New Zealand Olympic Academy.
- 2013 New Zealand Centre for Olympic Studies Report (PDF, 263KB)
- Mission and Goals
- Canterbury's Olympic History
- Links to other Centres for Olympic Studies
- UC library guide for PE & Sports Coaching
For more information email Professor Ian Culpan.